Re: definition

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/7/01 3:40:50 PM EST, crnoto@midway.uchicago.edu writes:
>
> << In the mean time, I was wondering if some one knew what "incertae sedis"
> means. >>
>
> "Of doubtful position." "Incertitude" means insecurity or doubtfulness, and
> it's from the same Latin root. "Sedis" is literally a "seat," "place," or
> "home."

I always interpreted it as "of uncertain position", i.e., if something is
Dinosauria _incertae sedis_, you know it's a dinosaur, but you're not sure
where inside Dinosauria it belongs.

There's also _sedis mutabilis_, which would mean something like "changing
position".

T. MICHAEL KEESEY
     AOL Instant Messenger   <Ric Blayze>
      ICQ                     <77314901>