Re: Pubic Pendulum

> Thank you for your kind comments on PDW. The pubis
> had to have been used to support the body when
> theropods rested on the ground because it was not
> possible from them to avoid doing so. One would
> think that the retroverted pubes of dromaeosaurs
> compensated for the lightness of the tail, but
> shorter tailed Caudipteryx had normally vertical
> pubes. The function of theropod pubes remains poorly
> understood.

First, let me say it's an incredible honor to recieve
an e-mail from you. Your work is unparalleled, and I
really doubt anyone will be able to match the quality
of your paintings and contributions to the science.
I'm trying not to be too much of a kiss-ass, but you
really deserve a pat on the back. About
Caudipteryx....wouldn't the very long retrice feathers
add additional weight to the tail? I would also think
that posture in Oviraptorosaurian-like dinosaurs would
play a major role in whether the pubic boot could
contribute to weight distribution. If Caudipteryx
adopted a more vertical posture like a modern bird,
the position of the pubis might be irrelevent. Another
thing that could be particularly interesting (and
useful) is if there are sexual differences in the
angles of pubic boots, with females having more
horizontal boots like those of Sue the T. rex, when
compared to other specimens which have the odd shape
i've mentioned before. BTW, I've been wondering if the
"growth rings" in some dinosaur bones might  indicate
that calcium is being leeched from the bones to
produce large clutches of eggs in females? If it's
true, we might be able to identify genders in some
dinos and get clues to how often they bred. Do you
think this idea has any promise?