                From: Mark Loewen
                Sent: Wed 07/02/2001 21:09
                To: dinosaur@usc.edu
                Cc: Paamy
                Subject: T. rex vs. Alamosaurus

                <<How could T. Rex have attacked sauropods? The only
sauropod in North America
                in the Maastrichtian was Alamosaurus and this lived
further south than what
                is generally considered rex country, although only from
fossil evidence...>>>

                Scott Sampson's team from the University of Utah
excavated a large (Sue sized)
                theropod this past summer.  The excavation was a tenth
of a mile from the
                original Alamosaurus site and just a few meters up
section within the North
                Horn Formation.  Large teeth have also been found lower
in the section (in the
                North Horn Formation), so I think it is safe to assume
the two animals
                coexisted within the same habitat.

                Cheers,
                Mark Loewen