Re: Volcanoes (comments on pterosaur extinction)

At 04:19 PM 08/02/01 +0000, Ken Kinman wrote:
In any case one would
hardly expect herbivorous dinosaurs to inhabit freshly erupted lava fields
until a reasoable vegetation cover had evolved, again a matter of centuries,
even in a tropical climate.

Is this true? In Hawaii it certainly does not necessarily take that long for lava flows to re-vegetate. Under the right conditions I think it is more likely to be decades than centuries (you can see this on the rainier parts of the big Island); ferns can establish themselves fairly quickly.

--
Ronald I. Orenstein Phone: (905) 820-7886
1825 Shady Creek Court