RE: The birds vs. the pterosaurs

A technical problem prevented this from going straight through
yesterday -- MPR

   Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 20:07:06 +0100
   To: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu
   From: Fabio Marco Dalla Vecchia <fabdalla@box1.tin.it>
   Subject: RE: The birds vs. the pterosaurs

   Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote: <In this case, small = the
   _Pterodactylus_-eagle size range. Does anyone know of any definite
   non-azhdarchid late Maastrichtian pterosaur taxa?

   Remains of relatively small pterosaurs (the size of an eagle?) are
   found in the uppermost Maastrichtian of Transylvania. I have found
   some scraps of long bone there and they were from non-giant
   individuals. The Transylvanian pterosaurs have been reported by
   Dave Weishampel, Cora Jianu and Emil Stiuca in an abstract for an
   European Symposium of Vertebrate Paleontology (I apologize, I
   cannot say more, I have only the xerox of the page, without other
   references)and determined as Pteranodontidae sensu Bennett 1989.
   Title of the abstract: "Old and new pterosaur material from the
   Hateg Basin (Late Cretaceous) of western Romania, and comments
   about pterosaur diversity in the late Cretaceous of Europe". ASk
   Dave or Cora for more info.

   All the best
   Fabio M. Dalla Vecchia