Re: Crocodilian vs Avian looks

To David Marjanovic:

> a protoceratopsian without cheeks looks very
> awkward, because these animals chewed and would have
> needed to prevent the food from falling out. I can't
> buy it. I wouldn't expect exact identity to
> mammalian cheeks (and lips) anyway, because we're
> talking of convergences...

There are a variety of herbivorous lizards that don't
have cheeks and manage just fine. I do agreee that the
protoceratops drawing looks a bit odd. It's almost as
if the skin and muscles on the jaw were cut
off....gives the head a skeletonized look. Nasty. I
don't like it. But who cares if I like it? If there's
reason to believe this is how they looked, we
shouldn't let our biases get in the way of good
science. Maybe they had stiff lips that slid past
eachother to help keep food in, or tongues that kept
food from falling out. I don't think these guys were
very good at masticating their food because they
probably wouldn't need gastroliths if they were (i've
never heard of cow gastroliths, have you?). Besides, I
thought ceratopsians *sliced* their food. I'm no
ceratopsian expert, so I yield to the superior
intellects of others on the list with regards to this
subject. So, maybe they just plucked a leaf off,
sliced it a few times and gulped it down. If feeding
was that fast, you wouldn't need cheeks.

P.S. As many of you may have suspected, HP Gregory
Paul sent me a private e-mail and I responded to it
on-list. My mistake, it wasn't intentional. Hope I
didn't step on too many toes. From now on i'll check
to make sure who I got the message from before
replying to the DML. Sorry ppl....