Re: Volcanoes (comments on pterosaur extinction)

Just for the record, I didn't write that initial statement (I believe Tommy said that).
I am wondering if the initial fern invasion of lava fields is generally followed by gymnosperms and then later by angiosperms----sort of like history repeating itself on a small scale.
------Ken
From: Marilyn Wegweiser <mdwegweiser@bsuvc.bsu.edu>
To: emmar@ldeo.columbia.edu, dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Volcanoes (comments on pterosaur extinction)
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 13:37:51 -0500

At 12:48 PM -0500 2/8/01, Emma C. Rainforth wrote:
At 04:19 PM 08/02/01 +0000, Ken Kinman wrote:
In any case one would
hardly expect herbivorous dinosaurs to inhabit freshly erupted lava fields
until a reasoable vegetation cover had evolved, again a matter of centuries,
even in a tropical climate.

Ronald I. Orenstein replied:

Is this true?  In Hawaii it certainly does not necessarily take
that long for lava flows to re-vegetate.  Under the right
conditions I think it is more likely to be decades than centuries
(you can see this on the rainier parts of the big Island); ferns
can establish themselves fairly quickly.

not necessarily that long. Ferns are opportunists and will quickly
establish themselves in disturned environments (e.g. the fern-spore
spike at both the KTB and TJB: immediately after the extinction,
ferns, which had previously been a minor component of floras,
dominated to the virtual exclusion of everything else.Mt St Helens
is a recent example of *very* rapid estabishment of flora (initially
ferns).

Yes. Ferns, are the first to return after a wildfire, as a matter of fact.

--
                      =00=  =00=  =00=  =00=
                      Marilyn D. Wegweiser, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor of Geology
Department of Geology                  mdwegweiser@bsu.edu
Ball State University                  Office: 765-285-8268;765-285-8270
Muncie, Indiana                                FAX:    765-285-8265