dinosaur extinction

I have a question for list members. Earlier today I attended a talk by
Prof. David Penny (Massey University) as part of a Bioinformatics
seminar programme at the University of Auckland. As some of you may
know, David has been a major contributor in the area of molecular
evolution. In particular, some of David's work has focused on the
estimation of divergence dates amongst bird and mammal taxa.

Today David said that dinosaurs were driven to extinction by the rise
of mammals and birds between 120 and 65 mya (yes - I know birds are
dinosaurs too!). He didn't dispute the existence of the bolide impact
at the KT boundary, but said all that did was knock off the remaining
few dinosaurs. What I had not heard before was his claim that this
competition was size-related. David felt that birds and mammals
replaced dinosaurs from the bottom up. Thus the last dinosaurs were all
large animals. Does anyone know if this is supported by the fossil
record? I know that there has been a lot of debate about dinosaur
diversity leading up to the KT boundary, but I haven't been aware of a
size dimension to these diversity data.

Cheers

Kendall

Kendall Clements