Re: Crocodilian vs Avian looks

Waylon Rowley wrote:

> T. Mike Keesey wrote:
>
> > Cool, I hadn't heard about herrerasaurid integument.
> > What is your source?
>
> http://www.cmnh.org/fun/dinosaur-archive/1998Jul/msg00348.html
>
> Not exactly direct evidence. Hopefully more will be
> written about the scutes soon.

This is a post I wrote which, among other things, repeats Tracy Ford's
understanding that Rudolfo Coria had found bony scutes on
_Herrerasaurus_.

Some time later, at the Florida Symposium on Dinosaur Bird Evolution, I
ran into Tracy and asked him about this.  He led me to Coria, who said
that _Herrerasaurus_ osteoderms had not been found.  As you say, this is
"not exactly direct evidence."  I trust that Tracy will correct me if my
account is wrong in some way.

I hope this helps.

-- Ralph W. Miller III   ralph.miller@alumni.usc.edu

We now return to our regularly scheduled program.