Defense

Steve Brusette asks:

> Why would juveniles, the animals most vulnerable to predators, not
>possess these features if they were truly used for defense?  Why would
>evolution leave the most vulnerable defenseless while the least vulnerable
>possess defense weapons?

Perhaps because it's the "job" of the adults to protect the young. There's
a considerable metabolic investment in growing those horns and frills, and
a little baby dino is still going to be an easy mouthful for a predator
even if it DOES have defensive gear. One could speculate that the best
investment of a young dinosaur's energy was to grow as quickly as possible,
gaining some defense from size itself . . . and only then to develop
weaponry, once it had the mass to use it effectively, on its own behalf and
that of its offspring.

 Steve Jackson - yes, of SJ Games - yes, we won the Secret Service case
  Learn Web or die - http://www.sjgames.com/ - dinosaurs, Lego, Kahlua!
          The heck with PGP keys; finger for Geek Code. Fnord.