Re: The birds vs. the pterosaurs

-----Original Message-----
From: Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Thursday, February 08, 2001 4:25 AM
Subject: Re: The birds vs. the pterosaurs

>Larry Febo wrote:
>> I think that the blocking of
>> photosynthesis was the KEY factor. (everything else, from high winds to
>> climate change was insignificant in comparison). All green vegetation was
>> wiped out for a period of (probably) a couple of months....
>
>Try several YEARS. The eruption of Krakatoa in 535 AD blocked out the
>sun in most parts of the world for 18 months. In places like Siberia,
>cold conditions persisted for about ten years or so. I think it's
>particularly interesting that the 535 eruption has been blamed (and
>probably rightly so) for the spread of bubonic plague from Africa into
>Europe for the first time in recorded history.

I  previously stated that what sustained small mammals and birds were the
insects that were feeding off of dead plant matter. Even the dead plant
matter would have run out eventually. I therefor think that several years
without photosynthetic activity would surely have wiped out
EVERYTHING!....and clearly that was not the case.