Re: Details on Caudipteryx

> Unfortunately "manus" again, allegedly with a longer u... manus belongs to the u declination,
> which has plural on -us, whereas most other words (humerus, radius, astragalus, tarsus...) on
> -us belong to the o declination, which has -i.

But how am I supposed to indicate both were preserved then? "....., two manus, ......"?  Sounds awkward.
That's the problem with plesiomorphic indo-european languages. :-|
> A cotylar articulation without cranial kinesis?

This is what Maryanska and Osmolska (2000) have to say about oviraptorids- "This process (on the quadrate) bears a large concave surface that receives the large condyle on the posteroventral extremity of the quadratojugal."
Aha...
> What exactly is a hypopubic cup?

An expanded, posteriorly concave area on the distal pubis.  Martin and others claim it was present in Archaeopteryx (instead of a pubic foot, as that would be theropod-like).  Norell and Makovicky (1999) show that the supposed cup in Archaeopteryx is actually a calcite mass and that Velociraptor may actually have a slight cup.  Forster et al. (1998) state a hypopubic cup is present in Rahonavis, but Geist and Feduccia (2000) think it was absent.  I think it may have something to do with the avian respiratory system, but I'm not sure.
Thanks! (So there is a difference to the pubic foot/boot, sometimes I have suspected the BAND simply hadn't understood what the latter is... :-) )
> Is it possible that all known specimens (that stretches it, of course) are immature, which could > explain the unfused sterna (sutured in Velociraptor, fused AFAIK in other oviraptorosaurs,
> Pelicanimimus, tyrannosaurids, Sinraptor...) and the 5 sacrals?

I knew there was something I would forget in that gigantic post.  Ji et al. think NGMC 97-4-A and NGMC 97-9-A were adult based on the well-ossified sternal plates, sternal ribs, carpals and tarsus.  The other specimens are of similar size and also preserve those elements (as well as uncinate processes), so can be assumed to have been adults as well.  Also, most sterna are sutured in oviraptorids, not fused.  I believe only one example of a fused sternum is known from an oviraptorid, currently referred to Ingenia.  I'm sure Jaime can elaborate and/or correct me if I got some details wrong.
Mhm.
> mmmm... which ones?

Promaxillary fenestra absent; first premaxillary tooth much larger than others; elongate narial fossa; posterior margin of ischium concave.
Thanks!