Dinosaur radiation like mammal radiation?

Recently I read that the major mammal radiation didn't
really begin until well into the Paleocene.  That
surprised me a bit, and got me to wondering if
dinosaur radiation following the late Triassic
extinction was equally slow in coming.

Does the fossil record indicate that kind of "lag" for
dinosaurs too?  If so, is it a pattern?  Why does it
happen?

=====
Larry

"I prefer to think, it's because our hearts are pure."