RE: Deccan Traps

Just want to make sure that people are getting the terminology here: the
"inter-" in "intertrappean" is stratigraphically "inter", but not
necessarily geographically "inter".

That is to say, the intertrappean beds represent the local return to typical
environmental conditions for some reasonably long chunk of time.  They do
not necessarily represent small pockets of normal environment surrounded on
all or most sides by lava flows.

That is to say, if we were transported back in time to an interval during
which intertrappean sediments were being deposited, it could well be that we
could look around and not see basaltic flows as far as the eye could see.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite