Re: Moasaurus

ELurios@aol.com wrote:

It's a true bird. After all it has no teeth, a horney beak, and is still
here.

I don't think these characters alone qualify the moa as birds. Ornithomimids and oviraptorids have no teeth and probably had a horny beak. In fact, many other theropods (eg. segnosaurs/therizinosaurs) and most ornithischians) probably had some sort of horny beak (loftily described as a "cornified rhamphotheca" in some texts).

New Zealand was reduced to a few tiny islands during the Eocene and
Oligocene, which were unable to support large, warm blooded life forms.

Three island-dwelling species (or subspecies) of emu have been described, from islands south of the Australian mainland. Unfortunately, all three went extinct in the 19th century: the King Island emu, Kangaroo Island emu, and the Tasmanian emu. I know the King Island emu (_Dromaius minor_) was smaller than its mainland counterpart (_D. novaehollandiae), though it was still quite a hefty-sized bird - and King Island is a very small island.

Kangaroo Island is also a teeny island, but I'm not sure how big its native emu (_D. baudinianus_) was. The third extinct emu species, the Tasmanian emu (_D. diemenensis_), comes from Australia's largest island (Tasmania) and of the three non-mainland species, it the one most often regarded as a subspecies of _D. novaehollandiae_.

And don't forget, Europe was a marshy archipelago for much of the Mesozoic Era. Think of how many large-bodied dinosaurs we've found there. Sure, the ankylosaurs and titanosaurs may have been smaller than their mainland relatives, but they were still pretty big.

In the modern era, if elephants and equines can survive on little islands - again as dwarf species, but again, still fairly massive - then why not large birds? I'm prepared to believe that the ancestors of the modern moa arrived in New Zealand during the Mesozoic.

<< >Moa posessed no wing bones (not even vestigiel ones); [...] had a
"stringy"
>type of feather more suited to body insulation / protection than flying;
>laid large eggs in a ground nest;  [snip]

I think the same is actually true for kiwis too. >>

No it ain't. kiwis have teensy wings with two(!) claws on each. They sleep
with their beaks tucked under the wings.

Yep, you're right. I remember seeing a kiwi doing that exact thing.

Tim

Timothy J. Williams

USDA/ARS Researcher
Agronomy Hall