Re: A Word on ABSRD

Ken

I agree with 90% of what you say. Personally, I would be thrilled if birds evolved in the Triassic and that many (?most) of the ground-dwelling maniraptorans (tyrannosaurs, oviraptorosaurs, the whole box and dice) are their secondarily flightless descendents. But the birds did NOT evolve from _Megalancosaurus_. That is the point of ABSRD.

I?m sure Feduccia and Martin are wonderful people, and they sure keep the theropod experts honest. I just have some queries about their methodology. Far be it from me to lump respected scientists in with crackpot pseudoscientists - basically I was using the example of phrenology to highlight the folly of pummeling facts to fit a theory.

Anyway, thanks for your comments!

Tim

Timothy J. Williams

USDA/ARS Researcher