Re: Impact QUestion - Re: The birds vs. the pterosaurs

>>> Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> 02/15/01 04:28AM >>>
>I keep coming back to the 535 AD event. There are multiple lines of
>evidence (tree rings, historic accounts, etc) that point to no sunlight
>for up to 18 months in Europe, and because the eruption probably occured
>in February (that's when the Chinese accounts mention an all-mighty bang
>somewhere to the south) which is late winter in the northern hemisphere,
>winter conditions would have lasted about two years. In places like
>Siberia colder than average conditions continued for about 10 years. And
>yet as far as we know, no species became extinct. With no sun light
>there was no evaporation, and hence no rainfall for at least 18 months.
>Conditions were hard - but things managed to survive. I think we don't
>give life on earth as much credit as it deserves. You don't survive a
>couple of billion years unless you have a few tricks up your sleeve. :)

Ok, I'm a little lost now. Even with the cloud cover and the layer of smoke and
ash in the atmosphere, some heat and light would still penetrate to the ground,
wouldn't it? Now, I don't mean it would be as warm and bright as a sunny day at
the equator; but I've always pictured it as being as warm and bright as
twilight on a cloudy early spring day in Ohio (read also: grey, grey and more
grey).

Even if it were completely dark, there would still be some evaporation
(although it would be greatly reduced), and some precipitation. There would
still be some surface water that was still liquid, and some minute amounts of
photosynthesis - food and water. Life would be harsh, but life would go on.

Or I may be completely off my rocker.

Brent : )

GroupWise Powered by Time-Warner Road Runner