Re: supersaurus tail thingy

In a message dated 2/15/01 8:09:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
scott_hartman@hotmail.com writes:

All,
    It's only been a few hours and I've had two questions about the
"plume"
at the end of the tail on the _supersaurus_.  The anatomy in question is a
"popper."  As many of you know, Nathan Myhrvold and Phil Currie did a
simulation that suggested that diplodocids could crack their tails,
breaking
the sound barrier at the tip.  In that same paper they suggested that some
sort of "popper" would greatly increase the amount of kinetic energy
released.  The idea of sound as a weapon intrigued me, and since I was
speculating that a row of Czerkas-Diplodicus like keratin spines were
running down the midline, I simply exaggerated the last one into a
functional popper.
    This is of course speculative, so I'll give full permission for
dissenters to bring the file into Photoshop and remove the offending popper
if they like ;)

I always assumed that the "popper" would be a club-like apparatus of some
sort, perhaps a hard keratin spine, rather than a "sail" like it looks in
your drawing.  But your rendition looks good and is perfectly acceptable:)
It's not offending in any way.