From: darren.naish@port.ac.uk
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
CC: fredruhe@xs4all.nl
Subject: ANATALAVIS
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 15:39:42 +0000

On _Anatalavis_, Fred Ruhe wrote...

> Somewhere I've red that Gareth Dyke doesn't believe, the genus belongs
> in the Anseranatidae, I can't remember the ref, but maybe he can tell
> us more!

Gareth won't be replying as he's back in the UK for graduation right
now (incidentally Gareth and I both live in the same city -
Southampton - and both went to the same school. We're meeting up
tomorrow I think). His rebuttal to Olson's identification of
_Anatalavis_ as an anseranatid was present at SVP 2000 (also SVPCA
2000), is discussed at full length in his phd thesis, and is currently in
press - apparently it will appear soon.

Olson's characters were mostly primitive for anseriforms if I remember
and _Anatalavis_ is best placed as a basal anseriform (and not allied to
_Anseranas_).

"All jungles were their jungles, and not a living thing stood before
them" [corrected version]

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building
Portsmouth UK                          tel (mobile): 0776 1372651
P01 3QL                                tel (office): 023 92842244
                                       tel (home): 023 80446718