Re: ARE ORNITHOPODS BORING?

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, David Marjanovic wrote:

> I miss something here... the mihirung (Dromornithidae), giant flightless
> birds of Eocene -- Pleistocene Australia, which were just found out to be
> _carnivorous ducks_, with enormous beaks much like *Gastornis* ("*Diatryma*").

I, too, miss something: breeding collapse in duck populations of the
pothole region provides a great model for same at the K/T.  As wetlands
dry up, this is known to increase predator access, i.e., predation on
nests is the proximal cause of this collapse.  Guess what happened at the
K/T: sea level fell, draining possible prime wetland nesting habitat for
non-avian dinosaurs.