Re: Extinction once again

I just forgot one thing...

> > Wrongo!
> > 1. This regression took _4 million years_, spanning quite some time
> before
> > and after the K/T.
>
> ...adding stress to species which nested on the shores of the "Oceans of
> Kansas."  Habitat loss is the main cause of  today's extinctions--why
> would we doubt that it was important in other times--especially when we
> know that vast tracts of potential nesting territory were reduced to zero?

You are talking exclusively of wetland species that lived along the Western
Interior Seaway. Yet dinosaurs that apparently lived on dry highlands were
killed off, too (Example: Mongolia), and the regression wasn't so severe that
no shallow seas at all remained, not even in North America alone. And, once
more, not only dinosaurs died out.

Just why was there NO mass extinction among shallow sea species at the
beginning of the current series of ice ages 2.5 Ma ago?!?!?

Once more: we don't talk of local extinctions of single species, or even
something like the disappearance of an entire rainforest. We are talking of a
(global) MASS EXTINCTION. When a 10-km-meteorite strikes, there are hardly any
habitats left on the planet for anything, so why talk about the local
non-effects of a slow regression?