Re: Extinction once again (crocs)

From: "John Bois" <jbois@umd5.umd.edu>
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2001 1:15 AM

> > 4. Lots of terrestrial egg-laying vertebrates survived (turtles, crocs,
> > lizards/snakes, tuataras, monotremes...)...

> They are mostly very small and can hide their nests in a greater variety
> of places.  Crocs are totally dependent on wetlands, though.

Although wetlands are today the most important nesting habitat for many croc
species, it is not true that they are totally dependent upon them. Crocs
require access to freshwater during nesting, which may come from a variety
of sources including tidal rivers and their upstream areas, isolated lakes
and pools, or even flooded patches during wet season rains. Some species,
such as Australian freshwater crocodiles or Nile crocodiles, utilise sand
banks to lay their eggs and only require that the substrate be moist close
to water. This can provide excellent inland nesting habitat.

I would be interested in reviewing the ideas about the Eusuchia surviving
the K-T extinction, if anyone has any.

Best wishes,

Adam Britton