Re: Extinction once again (crocs)

From: "David Marjanovic" <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2001 2:06 AM

> AFAIK, current wisdom about their survival centers on the mild conditions
in
> fresh water.

Is there any suitable citation which discusses this? I've heard that the
argument centres around the idea that freshwater food webs were affected
very little (compared with terrestrial and marine ones). I presume there
would be a variety of factors involved - extinction today often results from
many small variables being out of balance which combine to create
significant problems, whether or not there is a major precipitating event
which pushes populations over the edge.

Best wishes,

Adam