WAVP Report

Hello everyone.
I just got back from WAVP in Mesa, and thought I'd share with everyone what went on, and the talks/posters/abstracts that are related to dinosaur science (note: I missed the first round of talks, so if any of the list members that were there caught Brian Curtice's talk, they could comments on it. I cannot).
The talk that caught my attention the most was the talk by Heckert on Heckert et. al correlating the lowest Chinle (around St. Johns) to the Ishigualasto Formation. They base this mostly on a partial (partial is key) skull of _Saurosuchus_. This means, according to them, that the dinosaurs in the lower Chinle (and there are some) are equally as old as the dinosaurs in the Valley of the Moon. Interesting.
Also on the first day, there was a talk by Doug Wolfe on, "Science, Media, and the true story of the discovery of _Zuniceratops chrisopheri_" which was quite interesting, and dealt with not only the media's take on it, but what science was actually being done and what was being learned.
Also that day, our very own HP Tracy Ford gave a talk on the occurance of "Aublysodon" teeth from Mexico, "the southernmost record of tyrannosaurid theropods". It was a very interesting talk with some neat overheads, showing the different teeth. He also mentioned that if _Labocania_ is an abelisaur, then tyrannosaurids and abelisaurids were sharing the same environment, which I found very interesting.
Not quite dinosaur related, but Mesozoic and reptilian, so I'll mention it. Barry Albright talked about two new plesiosaurs from southern Utah, which was also a cool talk.
The poster session was that night, and beyond my own humble poster, Jim Kirkland had a poster on a trackway in St. George, Utah; Rose Difley had a poster on a dinosaur nesting site in the North Horn of central Utah; John Foster presented some data on the relative abundance of different sauropod genera in the late Jurassic; Andrew Heckert presented two posters, one by Lucas and Heckert on age correlation of Cretaceous vertebrates from southeastern Arizona, and one by Rinehard, Heckert and Lucas on a new crocodylomorph from the Najavo Sandstone. Also present was a very slick poster by Wolfe, Beekman, McGuiness and Thomas Robaria on the _Zuniceratops_ bonebed, and a poster by Sterling Nesbitt on some middle Triassic reptiles from the Moenkopi Formation, including a possible partial herrerasaur distal pubis (I don't know if I buy that, but it was very interesting, and would be neat if it was!). If it was dinosaurian, coupled with Heckert's talk, that would indicate that the oldest known dinosaurs come from the American southwest, as opposed to South America.
Then today (Sunday), there was a very intersting talk on mammalian evolution and diversity at the K-T boundary by William Clemens, a discussion of dinosaur material from the Fort Crittenden Formation by Bob McCord, from McCord et al. There was also a very interesting talk on the forlimbs of _Apatosaurus_ by Philip Platt, that suggested that sauropods (or at least, _Apatosaurus_) walked with a semi-sprawling front limb posture. Jim Kirkland gave a neat talk on the environment of the Morrison Formation. We then all migrated over to the Mesa Southwest Museum collections, and poked around in there for a bit. That's all she wrote folks (unless I forgot something, which I'm sure the other list members will correct.) I finally got myself a copy of PDW, so that was good. It was good to actually meet some other DMListers, to put faces to names. I think a good time was had by all, and that's the end of my schpiel.
Peace,
Rob

Student of Geology
Northern Arizona University