DROMORNITHIDS, GASTORNITHIDS & DUCKS

On the duck poem thing, David Marjanovik wrote..

> I miss something here... the mihirung (Dromornithidae), giant
> flightless birds of Eocene -- Pleistocene Australia, which were just
> found out to be _carnivorous ducks_, with enormous beaks much
> like *Gastornis* ("*Diatryma*")

My text was only about ducks. Dromornithids might be anseriforms
but, AFAIK, there is no evidence that they are actually members of
the Anatidae. Similarly, nobody (to my knowledge) has proposed that
gastornithids are anatids [note: there's stuff in the archives about a
possible gastornithid-anhimind link].

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building
Portsmouth UK                          tel (mobile): 0776 1372651
P01 3QL                                tel (office): 023 92842244
                                       tel (home): 023 80446718