Re: Electric Car Taxonomy

<It is sort of like extreme chemotherapy for
taxonomy-----phylogeneticists think that the patient (taxonomy) will endure
the procedure and come out cured in the end.  Traditionalists rightly fear
(in my opinion) that the therapy is so drastic that the patient will not
only have the endure the pain of the procedure, but will end up coming out
in far worse shape.>

I'm reminded of a recent newspaper article in which was reported an
investigation of the correlation between workouts and a syndrome equivalent
to Suddenly Dropping Dead.  The results were:  people who had strenuous
workouts were 11 times more likely to Suddenly Drop Dead than people who had
no workouts at all, while people who had moderate workouts were only 7 times
more likely to Suddenly Drop Dead than people who had no workouts at all.
The article concluded that it was essential people have moderate workouts
regularly.
Leaving aside the validity of health information popularly reported. my
researcher's mind immediately looked at the third option implicitly present
in those numbers.  Let's call it The Don't Do Something, Stand There option.
If you want to do extreme chemotherapy, it would be helpful to identify a
condition requiring treatment first.
Is there a good argument for making changes, aside from upgrading and
improving?  Some Saturday afternoons I visit 3 sites which scan my
hard-drive for program updates and supply me with downloads if needed.  Then
I visit a couple of free software sites to see if a better new program
should replace one of the incumbents.  Then, sometimes, I spend the rest of
the afternoon trying very hard to get the pc to work again.
I'm all for improving and upgrading, but definitely in moderation.  My
computer is probably only 7 times more likely to Suddenly Drop Dead.