Dinosaur Behavior

The Jurassic Park Films (Part III to premiere soon) gained audience appeal to
movie audiences everywhere.  The films suggested that dinosaur behavior was
attributed to "bird like" characteristics. This was a new concept for me
since I was first exposed  to the concept of behavioral similarities between
dinosaurs and reptiles.  I would like to inquire on how did the bird behavior
theory first came about and those supporting it. Is this theory accurate and
if it is what evidence supports it?  Did dinosaur behavior determine
intelligence, if so how?
I would appreciate if anyone could suggest references such as websites,
books, academic journals to expand my understanding of dinosaurs.

Thank You.