Re: Electric Car Taxonomy

> <Unfortunately, non-taxonomists might not understand this and
> their perception may indeed be that it is mostly issues of
> authority and "politics", and taxonomists had better be prepared
> for a backlash of resistance and resentment (particularly if
> Benton's fears for PhyloCode come about).>
>
>   Benton has made some good points. I also see the PhyloCode's
> statement that all taxa should be _re-applied_ for consideration
> and reflection by the code, which would be daunting to say the
> least, but this can be done very simply: make a specialized
> volume in regards to taxonomy illustrating concensus and unique
> views on taxonomy on established taxa, and list _all_ included
> genera. One line on a two or three column page will have the
> name, and definition. Nothing further is required. Similarly,
> the definition gets a citation. The person defining the taxon
> should not receive the honor of the name, it isn't new, and I
> doubt this is the intent (I've read the Code, perhaps I should
> go through it again for a refresher).

Such a volume ("companion volume") will indeed be written, the preface says.
Article 20 (www.ohiou.edu/phylocode/art20.html) deals with the citation
problem (you can cite _anyone and everyone_ who has ever had his hands at a
name, in different sorts of brackets).

>   But all this work and effort will be beneficial, if only to
> cite Somphospondyli Wilson & Sereno vide Sereno in _PhyloCode:
> Animalia, Vertebrata_; Sereno is well versed to provide at best
> a whole page in the _Science_ typeset font of names and
> definitions, with citations for original nomenclatural coinage.

B-)

>   However, the public populace has the benefit of being the
> stopgap in terms of those who are affected (somewhat) by this
> system, but only if they are taught, in school, the intuitive,
> phenotypic system of classifying animals as Linnaeus employed.
> Does this help? No, you ave people spending whole semesters in
> biology _unlearning_ all this high school _mumbo jumbo_ about
> how bats are rodents because they look like rats.... How do you
> tell a high schooler that bats are not rodents?

Oh, this problem is so widespread? In German, the word for bat (Fledermaus)
includes "mouse", and there are plenty of jokes about a mouse kid seeing a
bat and saying "Look, Mum, an angel" or "I also want to join the air force
when I'm grown up". Now considering the newest molecular phylogenies that
say that rodents are closer to us than (to) bats, and bats are closest to
shrews + moles + hedgehogs, odd- and even-toed ungulates, whales, pangolins,
and carnivores...