Re: Books on those Hairy Things

In a message dated 2/21/01 5:06:39 PM Pacific Standard Time,
David.Krentz@disney.com writes:

<< I am amazed at how few books are available on prehistoric mammals that
 don't involve coloring inbetween the lines.  Does anyone have any good
 reccomendations for me? >>

    The Book of Mammoths by Augusta and Burian is one.
    If you haven't already seen W.B.Scott's _History of Land Mammals in the
Western Hemisphere_ , that's a must. Many of the Horsfall and Knight
illustrations are still quite excellent even though the latest edition is
from the 1930's.
    The late Bjorn Kurten wrote several excellent mammal books you might find
in a library.
    It really is slim pickings. If there isn't the word dinosaur in the
title... There is hope however. Very soon a book about the age of mammals in
Europe is to be published with many illustrations by Maurico Anton. Another
volume on Africa, also illustrated by Mauricio is in the works. In fact he's
working on a number of exciting mammalian projects.
    I sure wish a collection of the artwork of Jay Matternes would be
published. I know there are many studies for the Smithsonian's Cenozoic
murals around. Dr. Farlow can take this as a hint. DV.