RE: Birds of Russia and Mongolia

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Mickey_Mortimer
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2001 8:03 PM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Birds of Russia and Mongolia

Zoe Heraklides wrote-

> Evgeny Kurochkin was one of the authors of the paper in *Science* that
> claimed that Longisquama's plume-like appendages were feathers (or at
least
> ancestral homologs of bird feathers). I don't actually belive it myself.
But
> it may mean that Kurochkin favors a non-dinosaurian origin of birds.

Kurochkin thinks "sauriurines" (Archaeopteryx, Jibeinia, confuciusornithids,
enantiornithines, Patagopteryx) evolved from theropods, but ornithurines did
not.  A ludicrous notion if there ever was one.

Not to me. I've thought about this on my own and believe its possible, or
actually, the other way around with a different twist in BCF.
Enantiornithines (Sauriurines) lived with Ornithurines. They did not have
families going from one group to another.