Re: Dinosaur papers in the latest Nature (joke)

At 2:05 PM -0600 2/22/01, Mark Perew wrote:
On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Marilyn Wegweiser wrote:

 Vertebrate Vomit Lags (VVLs) <grin> preserve as lovely more coherent
 mis-shapen flattened globs of very nasty looking etched and partially
 digested bits and pieces of other less fortunate vertebrates and
 invertebrates. They smash out lusciously when the next sedimentation
 event occurs. Preservation that I am most familiar with is in the
 marginal marine to paralic realm.

I was wondering if there was a term for these things. Gastrolites (ala coprolites) came to mind, but is perilously close to gastroliths, which are something else, of course.

I have a paper around here somewhere on them...... they are Devonian, mind you. Not dinosaur. Placoderms (arthrodires) are the likely contributors.

  Is VVL the correct technical term or is that
soemthing you made up?

It is one I made up. Let me muse on that for a while. I just called them "vertebrate vomit lags" during my defense. One of my committee members (Dr. Marine Geology; Larry Krissek) thought that I should perhaps us a less descriptive expression for them, although he said that his 7 year old thought it was very cool and asked him what they looked like. Guess I better pull this section out and publish on it separately from the rest of the stratigraphic descriptions, eh?

:)
-M