Re: DROMORNITHIDS, GASTORNITHIDS & DUCKS

darren.naish@port.ac.uk wrote:
On the duck poem thing, David Marjanovik wrote..

> I miss something here... the mihirung (Dromornithidae), giant
> flightless birds of Eocene -- Pleistocene Australia, which were just
> found out to be _carnivorous ducks_, with enormous beaks much
> like *Gastornis* ("*Diatryma*")

What evidence have we that Dromornithids are carnivores? I had the impression that, like modern emus and cassowaries, they were predominantly herbivores.

Raymond Thaddeus C. Ancog Mines and Geosciences Bureau Philippines