Re: fyi Permo-Triassic Extinction

> David Marjanovic (david.marjanovic@gmx.at) wrote:
>
> <Doubt it. Nothing to add to the discussion a few weeks ago.>
>
>   Tons to add to the discussion: 1, professional interpretation,
> and 2, buckyballs. Buckyballs are big deals, since they can
> _only_ form at degrees of pressure that are on the scale of a
> bolide or metoric impact within a small scale area, such as in
> thepressure chambers used to simulated them and other such nano
> and bucky structures, including diamonds.

You seem to have understood me wrongly. I don't doubt the impact:

<< > >"To knock out
> >90 percent of organisms, you've got to attack them on more
> >than one front."

Plasma shockwave, humongous earthquake, hypercane, global forest fire, acid
rain, cold, darkness, heat... and so on. All with a single direct cause,
impact.

> >The scientists do not know the site of the impact 250 million
> >years ago, [...] However, the space body left a calling card --
> >complex carbon molecules called buckminsterfullerenes, or
> >Buckyballs, with the noble gases helium and argon trapped
> >inside the caged structure. [...]
> >
> >The researchers know these particular Buckyballs are
> >extraterrestrial because the noble gases trapped inside have
> >an unusual ratio of isotopes, [...]

OK, that's enough. This is proof positive that there WAS an impact. =8-)
=8-) =8-) >>

Once more:

<< > >The collision wasn't directly responsible for the extinction
> >but rather triggered a series of events, such as massive
> >volcanism,

Doubt it. Nothing to add to the discussion a few weeks ago. >>

I just doubt that impacts can trigger volcanism.

> <<and changes in ocean oxygen, sea level and climate.>>
>
> <In sea level? How?>
>
>   What with plasma burn, heat, and acid rain, not to mention
> terrestrial and aquatic shockwaves, the sea would be very much
> affected, not to mention the poles and coastal glacier formation
> (near-, ant- and panarctic in the Permian only, I think) would
> cause glaciers and the poles to shed millions or more tons of
> ice into the sea, melt, etc, and cause the sea to rise. This
> would be aggravated if the impact occured _at_ the poles.
> Otherwise, if there was not enough ice present in the regions to
> be effected this way by the impact, if it hit the sea, the
> plasma would cause billions of tons of water to evaporate,
> dropping global levels by hundreds of meters, if not a kilometer
> (I'm guessing).

Thanks for the information, I hadn't thought about the above possibilities!
:-)