Re: Sue had no wishbone...

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 15:33:18
 Demetrios M. Vital wrote:
>Isn't a furcula basal to tyrannosauroidea?

Well, he wasn't saying that Sue (or any tyrannosaurs) didn't possess a furcula,
he was simply saying that what is reconstructed on Sue's mounted skeleton is
not a furcula, but rather likely a disarticulated piece of gastralia.

He said that he "hopes we find a T. rex wishbone some day."

I am very interested to see what others on list have to say about this "claim,"
especially our theropod experts (you know who you are!).

By the way, Larson's talk (on pathologies) was informative, and Pete is a great
speaker.  It's ashame what the media has done to him.  His work shouldn't be
discounted because he is a private collector.  Although many of us onlist have
problems with some of this hypotheses (gender, Sue's broken leg, etc.), we
shouldn't simply discount him because he isn't a member of academia.

Steve

Get your small business started at Lycos Small Business at
http://www.lycos.com/business/mail.html