Re: Sue had no wishbone...

Hey all,

I attended that  talk as well (wow a fellow list member went too!). Let
me just say it was an excellent talk and it was very interesting. I think
it laster about 1.5hrs . I listened to all he said about dinosaurs, and
just a while ago I discussed with someone the things Larson talked about.

Note:
-I am not trying to make his presentation look bad, but he might be mistaken
in some info he gave out. I am not pointing out flaws or intend to.

I took notice that Pete mispointed some things on the screen, such as
a bite mark; he pointed at the base of the tail when the bite mark was
at the middle (a broken neural spine could be seen in this hadro).
He also spoke a lot about _T. rex_ behavior and life. He said that 'groups'
rivaled each other and that one took the other out.
He is one of the only people I know to actually talk as if _T. rex_ had
arms that it could use to grab prey and possibly (someone in the audience
suggested) use it to care for juveniles. He also said the mates might
take care of each other, and that _T. rex_ was a group animal.
I thought it was cool he suggested sexual dimorphism.

I do have a paper by Makovicky and Currie (The presence of a furcula
in Tyrannosaurid theropods, and its phylogenic and functional implications;
18(01);143-149, March 1998)
They do prove that Tyrannosaus have furculas, and they make some mention
of them being related to grastralias. They elaborate on how many times
furculae have been mistaken for gastralia and vice versa. I'd have to
read the paper again, but I *think* there's some relation between the
gatralia and furcula on why it's there.
Furculas tend to be thicker and form the v-shape. It says this: "It is
difficult to distingish a tyrannosaurid furcula with the anteriormost
gastral segment. However, the first gastral segment is more massive,
has more gradually tapering, straighter arms, and does not have distal
articular facets"

It is known that furculae were present in Tyrannosaurs. As for Sue, I
would think that it would be the furcula. Kinda looks like one.

Just some thoughts,

-Marco
--
Marco  Mendez