Re: A little off subject...Re: Sue had no wishbone...

At 04:30 AM 2/25/2001, you wrote:
the preceeding on Bakker, it should be known that Bakker
possesses a PhD in biology, Horner an honorary degree in
[Philosophy?] from Yale, and Pete Larson had undergone six years
to get his doctorate, but had been turned down at the last. Not
one I would not call a un-professional, and each is an avid
member of Academia. Often, all a doctorate is is a few letters
after your name, but this often signifies the years of training
one has gone through, so in fact, it _does_ mean something.
Horner's Honourary Doctorate is an "Honorary Doctorate of Science, University of Montana, 1986 " (off the MOR website). Pete Larson was working on his Masters, not his doctorate. He got turned down because he took too long to complete his courses and his supervisor said he would have to redo his courses.

As for a PhD meaning something, I think it is VERY important. It stands for years of training. You wouldn't go to a person who said "well, I have no formal training, but I have some great ideas" if you were gravely ill, would you? Yes, I think amateurs can add a lot to the science, but many comments on this list seem to me to be dismissing academia.

Darryl Jones  <dinoguy@sympatico.ca>

For information on tyrannosaurids and
visit my webpage at:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/dinoguy/