Re: Sex

> External fertilization of eggs in dinosaurs
> probably did not occur because there
> are no known amniotes (reptiles, birds,
> mammals) that have external fertilization.
> External fertilization usually occurs in
> anamniotes (amphibians, fish) because
> there is water for the sperm of the male to swim in.

Well, its funny that you should say that. The animal in which inspired my
question was the Horseshoe crab. The eggs are layed and fertilized in the
sand, out of the water. The female lays them and then the smaller male is
dragged over them.

It just struck me that, in evolutionary terms, if nature throws up a
powerful feature (such as the Steg's spines and plates which clearly have a
distinct advantage due to their development), then nature will make a U-turn
to get round any other problem, such as mating.

> If you or anyone on this list has ever seen elephant
> mating, the penis of the elephant is like a mobile
> probicis that can be manuvered into position
> during the course of copulation.

Indeed, but these animals' genitals can at least get within a few feet of
each other in the traditional mount. Stegosaurus has, if you'll forgive the
pun, an insurmountable problem as far as I can see.

> In some camels, the female lays on the ground sideways
> and the male mounts her sideways.

This seems a little more plausible.

Perhaps if the female splayed her legs right out (the same way giraffes do
in order to drink) and raised her tail as high as possible (almost vertical)
then the male could rear up on his hind legs. That would keep the plates and
spines well away from each other and allow the two undersides of the animals
to meet.

I think I will sketch a couple of ideas....

Hmm... the Stegosaur Karma Sutra.... Could be a big hit.

Gav

www.gavinrymill.com        ICQ: 33916140  /  AOLIM: ExtinctGav