Re: <philosophy> A little off subject...Re: Sue had no wishbone...

At 04:16 PM 2/26/01, Marilyn Wegweiser wrote:
>At 9:04 AM -0500 2/26/01, Brent Jones wrote:
>>"A Little Off Subject"? Whew, boy howdy!
>>
>><SNIP> but the dinolist comes to work, not home
>
>Hi Brent,
>
>What is this thing........... home?

Home is a place where my significant other lives and sleeps and eats meals,
etc. Occaissionally I go there, too.

>It's (the PhD) also the band-aid that goes on to cover the radiation burns
>>that are left from having satisfied your committee that you are not going
>to embarrass them for the end of time and that is wasn't a waste to support
>>your education for 3-5 years. After all, who is going to get asked: "You gave
>>Dr. XX a Ph.D? What were you thinking?" Not you - your Academic Advisor >is
>going to take the blame for you.

You know, I ought to ask my brother how his burns are healing.

>This one never ceases to baffle me. Students do it too. "I didn't want to
>>bother you." Sheesh. Read on:
>
>For Crying Outloud. Ask a question! Please! Just don't always expect an
>>instant answer. Like anything.

You know, I can't understand it, either. When I was a teacher, I had the
hardest time convincing my students to ask questions until they realized that I
wasn't going to flame them for it - that I really was going to do my best to
answer whatever they threw at me. Is this a training issue (you know, like
paper-training?)

>>The problem seems to me to be more of perception than reality.
>>"Academics" (note the quotations!) seem to the genereal public to be
>>too busy working on their 18 million different tasks
>
>Blame the job. See today's Chronicle of Education in which one report says
>>that a professor at a particular university is going to be allocated research
>>space based upon their ability to "successfully obtain grant money." Gives a
>>whole different meaning to "publish or perish" doesn't it? <SNIP>
>Museums are libraries with fossils in them. A Ph.D. is your library card. You
>>have to work to get the library card. Not everything in life is free. Give
>>anyone, me or anyone else more money to fund a graduate student and I/we
>>could clear 10 problems off of our/my plate(s) and send them to a dozen
>>museums to look at specimens and describe them.

Is this the solution? Or do we demand too much of our educators? And, by the
way, if you do find some money and are looking for someone to help you out
(hint, hint)...

>No question is "little" just as there really isn't a "dumb question."
>While I in particular may fire what might appear to be a flippant answer at
>>times, it is often as with any of us, just buoyant personality that is at
>play. A >Ph.D. like anyone else must get older but also like everyone else we
>have this >option: We don't have to grow up. The world is our playground and
>sandbox. >I have to get older and that doesn't mean that I must become what is
>my >perception of stodgy to do it. <grin>

Absolutely! Life is much too important to be taken seriously!

>>my job is to answer questions. Many of the folks
>>who mention that they feel a professional would be too busy to
>>answer their question freely admit that they have not asked one yet.
>
>Yep. I love having questions in lecture. Yet they are rare. If a student asks
>me >a question I will focus completely on what was asked and if I have to
>continue >the lecture material the next day, so what.

Again - is this a training issue? How many times does an educator have to
mention that they can answer questions before they get one?

>>And then the whole comment about museums and the "treasure troves"
>>of fossils that they hide! Oh, please! This is an extension of the
>>same problem - "museums are secret places, where so much work
>>happens behind closed doors<SNIP>.
>>I even have to admit, the person who originally wrote about all the
>>fossils that were labelled "unknown" admitted that there were not
>>enough hands around to do the piled up work of preparing,
>>identifying, cataloguing and displaying all of those years of
>>accumulated fossils. So how do we get around this?
>
>Quit digging? <smirk>

Oh, yeah. That'll work. <g>

Brent : )

GroupWise Powered by Time-Warner Road Runner