Re: COMPETING BATS, BIRDS & PTEROSAURS

Henri Rönkkö  wrote:

>I believe birds do better than bats in daylight because
> birds rely on vision whereas bats rely on echolocation.
> Echolocation is neither as acute nor as effective as seeing,

This isn't really the case. The bat's echolocation system gives them overall
better perception than birds. Partly due to the fact that echo location is
not affected by various environmental factors such as light levels, fog,
etc, but also because of the incredible degree of accuracy it affords them.

When the bat closes in on its prey it switches to visual sight to make the
final assualt. Bat's visual sight is pretty good at short distances. Its the
use of both senses in tandem which gives an extra advantage.

Gav

www.gavinrymill.com        ICQ: 33916140  /  AOLIM: ExtinctGav