Re: [Re: [Re: A question concerning the BCF hypothesis]]

Henri Rönkkö <henri.ronkko@kolumbus.fi> wrote:
> archosaur@usa.net wrote:
>
> > << the leaky cell type endothermy >>
>
> And Dinogeorge asked:
>
> > What's "leaky cell type endothermy"?
> >

> This has already been discussed on the list. I asked, and Jeffrey Martz
> answered. The exchange can be found from the archives. The address is:
>
> http://www.cmnh.org/fun/dinosaur-archive/2000Jul/msg00770.html
>
> However, it seems to me that this might not be the scientific consensus.
> Maybe, I'm not sure.
>
> Best wishes,
> Henri Rönkkö

I'd also like to add that along with the Na/K pumps there is also the
mitochondria issue. Mitochondria are leaky and in the process of ATP
generation they leak out free radicals which require upkeep and
maintenance (which requires energy and gives off heat) to keep in line.
Since both mammals and birds have more mitochondria per cell than reptiles
and amphibians they also have "leakier" cells.

Jura

Jurassosaurus's Reptipage: A page devoted to the study of and education on,
the reptilia:

http://reptilis.net