Re: Dinosaur Genera List corrections #154

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Tim Williams wrote:

> _Archaeoraptor_ may no longer be a _nomen nudum_, but is it necessarily a
> valid genus?  What diagnostic characters does Storrs Olson provide for the
> caudal series IVPP V 12330 of _Archaeoraptor liaoningensis_?  If the caudal
> vertebrae show no diagnostic characters below the level of Dromaeosauridae
> or Maniraptora, then _Archaeoraptor liaoningensis_ may be dismissed as a
> _nomen vanum_.

I remember asking this list a while ago what the difference between _nomen
dubium_ and _nomen vanum_ was. The upshot seemed to be that _nomen vanum_
didn't really mean much, and _nomen dubium_ should be used instead. Is
this right?

At any rate, it seems that if _A. liaoningensis_ and _M. zhaoianus_ are
based on the same *individual*, what goes for one goes for the other.
Unless I'm mistaken, if Olson's designation is to be invalidated it must
be in some other fashion.

T. MICHAEL KEESEY
    work, binary files      <mkeesey@dcentgroup.com>
      AOL Instant Messenger   <Ric Blayze>