Re: Scaly tyrannosaurs; fact or fiction?

On 1 Jan 01 16:46:32 EST
 archosaur wrote:
>It has recently been brought to my attention that the finds of skin
>impressions in tyrannosaurs indicating a scaly hide have been cast in doubt.
>
>What I was wondering is what were the reasons behind this?
>
>Are all three skin impressions believed to be dubious or is it only one of
>them?
>
>Does anyone know where I might be able to get some more info on it?

Well, I haven't heard anything about this discovery, but I would also be
interested to see if anyone else has information.

If there were, indeed, Tyrannosaur skin impressions found, then I would be
curious to see if they show any evidence of feathers.  Most cladograms show
Tyrannosaurus well within the range of feathers, but no Tyrannosaur specimens
have been fossilized in the ideal conditions needed for fine impressions.

Personally, I think it is much more imaginable that Tyrannosaurus may have
possessed feathers as a juvenile, which may have been used to keep in body heat
while it grew quickly, and then shed them later as a sub-adult or adult.  Just
my own thoughts...but unsubstantiated.

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Get FREE Email/Voicemail with 15MB at Lycos Communications at
http://comm.lycos.com