From: ELurio@aol.com
To: qilongia@yahoo.com, dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Status of _Caudipteryx_
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 10:24:38 EST

In a message dated 1/1/01 3:33:59 AM, qilongia@yahoo.com writes:

<< I'd like to see your evidence for the lineality of equoid evolution.
Several different branches developed unidactyly (or at least walking on
all four feet on one toe). Facial morphology, tooth morphology, and
limb morphology has also converged in the lineages of archaeotheres,
paleotheres, and equines, and their common ansectors. >>

Okay, you have a mother, and she had a mother and on and on until you've got
an ancester that's a Homo erectus. The procesess goes on until you've got
Austrolopithicus and on and on in your single, straight line until you get to
something resembling Pikia back in the Cambrian. It's almost impossible to
find EXACTLY in the fossil record, but it's there. As to progress as such,
that's something that'll always be highly debateable.

eric l.