extinct Komodo fauna

Dear List,

    I recently finished a wonderful book on recent extinction theories,
called " Song of the dodo". This is a must read for anyone concerned with
the efforts to save the fauna of our planet. However, I digress.
    In the book, there is a section were the author visits the Komodo
Islands. He states that before humans arrrived, the mondo monitors ate pygmy
elephants intil they went extinct. Is there any evidence of yet another
population of dwarf elephants in the chain of islands that incompass the
Komodo?

Sincerely,

Cliff Green