Re: Archaeoraptor still a nomen nudum

In a message dated 1/5/01 0:53:03 AM EST, bh480@scn.org writes:

<< Taken together, these shortcomings in Olson's attempt to attach the name
Archaeoraptor to a dinosaur pretty well nullify his efforts and leave the
name a nomen nudum. Under a strict reading of the ICZN, Olson's misguided
 actions do not sink Microraptor nor deprive the paleontologists who
published the full scientific description of their authorship. >>

I agree 100% with Ben's reading of the Code regarding Archaeoraptor, and I
think that would ordinarily do it for anyone. But here we have a
paleontologist of considerable reputation, from the National Museum of
Natural History, who has been arguing exactly the opposite, namely, that
Archaeoraptor is a validly created name that he has even affixed to a type
specimen. I doubt whether Storrs Olson would accept Ben's "strict
interpretation" of the code, in view of what he has already contributed to
the situation. The purpose of adding Archaeoraptor to the index of rejected
names is to confirm that the name no longer has any scientific standing, and
to finish off this argument once and for all, so that there will be no
further possibility of raising this issue again in the future.