Re: Archaeopteryx Pes

David Marjanovic wrote:

<From personal observation of one of the best publicly exhibited
specimens of *Confuciusornis sanctus* worldwide
(Naturhistorisches Museum Wien = NHMW = Natural History Museum
Vienna) I can confirm that the claws on the second toes are
enlarged, though not as much as in dromaeosaurs. *C.* surely
wasn't a predator, but this doesn't preclude other uses such as
display, intraspecific fighting, etc.. I can't tell whether the
toe was hyperextendable.>

  Irrelevant; the claws of the second toes in various birds,
especially perching birds and raptorial birds, are enlarged.
They're positively huge, in fact, and only the hallucial claw
rivals it in size. Function of the claw when the digit is not
hyperextendable (I would agree with Chiappe et al. on this
point)is another question that might better frame the use of a
hyperextendible claw. Or why it shows up in noasaurids,
troodontids, and drmaeosaurids (and *Megaraptor*?)....
Morphology of the intermediate and proximal phalanges of the
second digit also appears to be "normal," and the first or
second phalanges do not bear dorsally-expressed trochlea, which
would be there if it was extendible....

=====
Jaime A. Headden