Re: You Can't Nitpick a Carnosaur

I wrote:

<<Holtz, 1994, sat down and pared the parts of "Carnosauria"
apart, removed taxa more primitive (*Megalosaurus,*
*Torvosaurus*) or closer to birds (tyrannosaurus [the big step],
spinosaurs, therizinosauroids [including segnosaurids], and
*Dryptosaurus*) .. all of the latter set of which are
coelurosaurs.

[...]

while torvosaurs group with coelurosaurian spinosaurs
(Spinosauroidea, replacing the first name Torvosauroidea)
(Sereno et al., 1994, 1996, 1998; Sereno, 1999, 2000).>>

  This was pointed out to me privately, and I realized I made a
serious error ... Never has spinosaurs and torvosaurids been
placed nearer birds than allosaurids were, and in fact I
misplaced them by a few nodes.... They are closer to birds than
*Megalosaurus,* by every phylogeny published with them both in
it that I've ever seen (I don't have Thulborn's phylogeny, can
only comment on what Mickey Mortimer has posted on this). They
are non-avetheropod tetanurines, and in fact the clade
{*Torvosaurus* + birds} is called Neotetanurae, to the exclusion
of *Megalosaurus* [basal-most Tetanurae]. So appologies to Holtz
and Sereno et al. and their published phylogenies....

=====
Jaime A. Headden