RE: The Scientific American Book of Dinosaurs

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of Ann Schmidt

Is the "Scientific American Book of Dinosaurs" by Gregory s Paul considered a good, accurate book in terms of the information and illustrations contained in it?  Is there anything innacurate I should know about?

Well, one of the main complaints I have with the book concern some minor but common editorial/typographical errors.  Somewhere between submission and printing errors crept into my own and other chapters, particularly with regards to figure captions.  For example, I know full well how to spell "coelurosaur", but the word "coelosaur" shows up on some of my figure captions.  Also, for another example, the middle part of the caption disappeared on my sauropodomorph cladogram on p. 158: it is supposed to mention that some analyses support a monophyletic Prosauropoda, while others suggest that these early forms form a paraphyletic grade leading to true sauropods.

Also, there is no index for the book in the current edition.

My final complaint specifically concerns the reprint of Bakker's Dinosaur Renaissance, where all the data tables disappeared (one of the things I really liked about the original was the continuous bar & pie charts and figures running through the middle of the article).

That being said, it is a VERY up to date book, and provides some access to information and figures otherwise not yet accessible to the general public.  I like it!

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
Department of Geology           Director, Earth, Life & Time Program
University of Maryland          College Park Scholars
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite
Phone:  301-405-4084    Email:  tholtz@geol.umd.edu
Fax (Geol):  301-314-9661       Fax (CPS-ELT): 301-405-0796