Re: the tonight show

In a message dated 1/9/01 3:01:59 AM EST, jenny@amnh.org writes:

<< and I quote
 " closest living relative to a dinosaur."

 Jay Leno says "really?"

 response  "yup, closest lving relative to a velociraptor."

 I knew there was a reason I stayed up late. >>

All modern birds are equally closely related to Velociraptor, since they
share the same most recent common ancestor. That is, the common ancestor of
any modern bird and Velociraptor is the same species as the common ancestor
of any other modern bird and Velociraptor.