Re: Archaeopteryx

Hanneke Meijer wrote-

The other day I was talking to a collegue at the Naturalis Museum in Leiden about Archaeopteryx. He told me that he read somewhere ( I don't know where) that Archie's body measured 47 mm without the head and the tail.  Can someone tell me if this is true, because it seems very small to me.

So we're only measuring the neck, back and sacrum here, right?  This is really only possible to measure in the Eichstatt and Berlin specimens, which gives us lengths of 114.5 mm and 179 mm respectively.  It seems you are correct in thinking the 47 mm figure was too small.

Mickey Mortimer